Monday, June 3, 2013

Jesus Loves the Little Children

Today was my last day of mentoring for this school year.  I have had a standing appointment every Monday morning from 10:00 to 11:00.  At the beginning of the semester, we had a lot of "snow days" which happen to be on Monday.  Finally the winter weather lightened up on Mondays so that we could enjoy our half an hour visit.

There were two kindergarten girls that we signed up for the mentoring program and waiting for someone to who would dedicate thirty minutes with each of them.  When I was asked to mentor both of these girls, I thought it went with a pattern God had established in my life.  When I was a full time teacher, I taught pre-k and kindergarten.  Volunteering as High Point Tour Guide, I was the leader of one of the two kindergarten groups.  It seemed perfect for my mentoring students to be in kindergarten also.

During our usual mentor time, we would play games that would reinforce skills that they were learning in class.  Today we had a fun day.  Each of the girls received a coloring book and crayons as a "see you later" gift.  Then we chose to either play Candy Land or color in their coloring books.  We also shared a special treat while we visited.

One of the girls decided we should play a couple of rounds of Candy Land while we ate a snack.


The other chose to color in her coloring book and munch on our mini Cheez-Its.


Mentoring was a wonderful experience.  I enjoyed the opportunity to be in a school setting again as well as work one-on-one with a child.  Each of these girls have been in my prayers since I was first asked to volunteer as a mentor.  I hope we will be paired up again next year.  If we are not, I hope I showed them that Jesus loves the little children.

No comments:

Post a Comment